A few days ago I helped a client update there SQL 2008 Express installation to a real SQL 2008 R2 installation. They have been hitting the wall for the 4Gb database size limit for some time so it was really time. I installed the new instance on the server and all went well. I just don't understand why SQL 2008 Express uses the default instance name MSSQLSERVER. Last time I had anything to do with the express version off SQL I think I remember the instance was named .\SQLEXPRESS or something similar. This isn't really a problem except that the default instance can't be accessed unless you name it. Some programs doesn't solve that issue as well as others and the default instance name of MSSQLSERVER I think should be reserved for the real installation.
How ever the move of the databases was really easy as well. Just took them offline, deattached them from the express installation and reattached them to the new SQL 2008 server install. Then when it was all done I uninstalled the express installation. That was when the problem started. I couldn't use the SQL Server 2008 Configuration Manager anymore. It just gave my this error:
"Cannot Connect to WMI provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable. Note that you can only manage SQL Server 2005 and later servers with SQL Server Configuration Manager.
Invalid namespace [0x8004100e]"
After a little digging around I figured out that the WMI namespace had been uninstalled by the express version uninstall. From Microsoft I got the information that the 32-bit express installation shared files should still be on disk and that I could reuse them to fix the issue. According to Microsoft I should be able to do this:
mofcomp "%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"
How ever the installation wasn't in that folder and I realized that the information was wrong. Part of the installation was actually there but at an other path. So I ended up with this:
mofcomp "%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"
That solved the problem and I was able to run the SQL Server Configuration Manager again.